History of Stantonsburg NC

The area along Contentnea Creek now known as Stantonsburg was populated by Indians until around 1720. In 1745, the first white settlers filtered down from Virginia to take up land patents and establish residence here.

A bill to incorporate the Town of Stantonsburg in the County of Edgecombe was passed by General Assembly after its third reading on December 20, 1817. Thus Stantonsburg became the first incorporated Town in what was 38 years later to become Wilson County.
 
The Stantonsburg area suffered the ravages of the War between the States and the Town was forced to give up its charter. Following the war, the Town recovered sufficiently to incorporate for a second time in 1873. In 1890 an extensive fire destroyed much of the Town around the turn of the century. The Town Charter was again allowed to lapse.

In 1907, there was another period of growth, and the General Assembly of North Carolina again granted a charter to the Town of Stantonsburg on February 26, 1909.  The Town was named for the Stanton family who were early landowners in the area.

 
 
Copyright © 2017 Town of Stantonsburg. All Rights Reserved.